About Us Research visa

Research (R) visa

Research Visas are given to research scholars who wish to conduct research work in India. Applicants are requested to obtain prior permission to conduct research project in India from the concerned authorities as and where applicable. Applicants are requested to apply at least six weeks before their date of departure to India. Validity of the visa would coincide with the research period.

OCI/PIO card holders are not allowed to undertake research work in India without prior permission of Ministry of Home Affairs.


  •  Letter of admission and Certificate of Affiliation in original from the recognised Indian University/ Institution in token of having secured admission for the research purpose.

  •  Subject/ topic of the research project.

  •  Details of places to be visited in India during the project period.

  •  Details of previous visits to India.

  •  Evidence of financial resources to meet the expenses to meet the stay in India.

  •  In case the research proposal relates to the applicant’s own country a brief synopsis (150 words) and justification for doing research in India

  •  No columns in the application form must be left blank

Visa Fee:      € 99       (6 months validity)

€ 148    (1 Year validity)

€ 247     (more than 1year validity)

Time Taken

The time taken may vary on case-to-case basis. Research visa typically takes longer than an average Student Visa.

Note: For further procedural details, go to website of service provider www.vfsglobal.com/india/netherlands. In case of any discrepancy between Embassy’s website and the website of the service provider or any Government of India website, please bring the same to the attention of the Embassy at e-mail: consular.thehague@mea.gov.in

FAQs on Research Visa

Q. What is the duration of the Research visa?

A. Visa may be issued for a period of three years or for the duration of the research project whichever is earlier. Visa can be extended in India from the office of concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO)/Foreigners Registration Office (FRO).

Q. Who is the competent authority for Extension of the visa in India?

A. FRRO/FRO are competent to extend Research Visa of foreign research scholars staying in India subject to the production of :-

i) Valid Research Visa.

ii) Bonafide Certificate from the University/Institute of affiliation about his/her pursuing the research project indicating the duration of the research project.

iii) Evidence of financial resources to meet the expenses for stay of the foreigner and for the Research work.

Q. Whether OCI/PIO Card holders can carry out Research work?

A. OCI/PIO Card does not entitle the card holder to do research work in India without special permission from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. OCI/PIO card holders can carry out research in India after taking special permission from Ministry of Home Affairs.

Please note: Visa applicants are advised to verify the credentials of the Indian research/ educational institute, before applying for Student or Research Visa. Embassy of India is not responsible for verification of credentials/ accreditation of the Indian institute or the equivalence of the course to be pursued or any other related matter. In case of any doubt in this regard, separate reference should be sent to the Education Wing of the Embassy and visa should not be applied for till applicant is satisfied. Upon arrival in India, applicants should carefully follow instructions in regard to registration of foreign students, for which one may contact the local FRRO/FRO.